Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 9 Kids Today


I DJ at the Deep River Waterpark for Tubing Tuesdays. I used to be out on the deck where kids could make requests. For the most part, the kids were polite and I had fun to talking music with them. There was always some punk ass kid who would tell me I suck because I couldn't play a song with the word fuck repeated several hundred times. It comes with the territory. Let's just say tonight felt more like October than June and the waterpark had about 25 guests. Obviously a slow night. But I did get this request list from one of the kids that works at the park. That's cool, it is much easier to play requests than guess what songs people want to hear. Nowadays kids do ask for a lot of old songs. My guess it is due to video games especially Guitar Hero and Rock Band. This list was handed to me and it made me laugh. I asked her if Billy Idol sang Spin My Round. She said yes. Just a quick note, this song was sampled by Flo-Rida who had a big hit with it last year. So I'm guessing that is how this kid even knows the song. Surprisingly another kid standing there knew it was really done by Dead Or Alive. I told the girl I would play that version.

1 comment:

  1. I did a party last year, and a bunch of 16 year olds where requesting Foghat and other classic rock. It blew my mind. I finally had to ask... "How do you all know this stuff?!?" They turned to my and said, in unison... "Guitar Hero!". What a great night.

    ReplyDelete