Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 22 Roland Harper


This was actually going to be a feel good story but while searching for a picture, it took a strange turn. Here's the story. While working at a gas station in West Dundee, I was approached by a man asking about a fellow employee at the company I work for. He said, "is there an ugly guy named Ray still working at DRW?" Since I am nothing if not a smartass I answered, "there's an ugly and useless saleman named Ray." He laughed and said "Tell him Roland says hello". Since he was wearing a Secretary Of State shirt, I said "OK Roland with the State says hello". Then he goes on explaining that he doesn't work for the state and never would. This leads me into my usual rant about corrupt politicians throughout Illinios. The conversation continues for awhile, then he says, "It's Roland with the Chicago Bears". I guess it to be Roland Harper from his age and I am correct. I tell him how as a kid I watched him lead the way for Walter Payton every Sunday. We talked football for a little while, then he was on his way. I almost asked for a picture for the blog, but it seemed like a douchebag thing to do. He was really a cool guy and the conversation was very engaging. It made my day to run into a player I watched as a kid and he turns out to be a nice person. Slowly it turns...I googled Roland Harper to find a picture. Apparently, he was sentenced earlier this month to 2 years probation and one year house arrest for fraud involving the Chicago Public Schools. So much for my feel good story of the day. I got the picture of Harper & Payton from the Bears website.

3 comments:

  1. "Those who are without sin, cast the first stone"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not cast any stones. I just told a story about meeting Mr. Harper.

      Delete
  2. Roland is and always will be a great man.

    ReplyDelete