Sunday, September 6, 2009

September 5 Good Times With Four Legged Friends & Old Friends

Chrissy & I took the dogs to the Green City Market in Lincoln Park this morning. The dogs loved it and Oslo was surprisingly well behaved in the crowded market. Fluffy made some friends who actually offered to watch her while we shopped.


There was some live entertainment too.
Of course the main attraction is the locally grown food. This is the best farmer's market I have found in Chicagoland. It runs year round but it is held outside until October 31st. I encourage everyone to shop here as often as possible. You can meet the people who either grew the food or handmade the cheeses, pies or pasta. We left with 3 types of eggplants, a raspberry-blueberry pie, some peaches and apples, mixed greens for a salad, goats milk soaps, a 7 year aged cheddar cheese block and some fresh blueberries & raspberries. I almost forgot the Crimini Mushroom Tagliatelle and the Seasonal Garlic Capellini we bought from the Pasta Puttana. We also got something for the dogs, elk bones. Our strange weather continues as summer comes to an end. We had a full week of sunshine but also had record lows at night, down to 42 degrees one night. This morning a strange fog rolled in off the lake, it covered the Hancock building but stopped about 2 blocks into the city, west of Michigan Ave was in sunshine. There is no telling what kind of winter we are to expect this year.

After unpacking the food, it was a quick turnaround back to the city with Jimmy Drescher, another one of my best friends that I haven't seen all summer. Every year Jim, a Red Sox fan, goes with me to a White Sox -Red Sox game. I even let him wear his Red Sox jersey because we have been friends since 1978 and he has been a Red Sox fan that long. He got hassled by White Sox fans as soon as we got out of the car, being the good friend that I am, I quickly stated that I was a White Sox fan. The Cubs -White Sox rivalry is well known to Chicagoans, but I believe the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry is more than a rivalry, it is pure hatred. I saw a bumper sticker that said "I don't brake for Yankees fans". I made this guy turn around so I could get a picture of this classic t-shirt.


Jim & I got to the game early to just relax, enjoy the sunshine and have a hot dog while sitting in the outfield hoping to catch a batting practice home run. (Just for the record, we didn't bring our mitts)
While sitting in right field, I could see our seats behind third base were empty. Since Debbie & George were meeting us at the game, I called Deb to let her know we were sitting in right field. It's a good thing I made that call because Deb was about to go golfing. She thought the tickets were for tomorrow's game. She quickly got off the phone to change and head toward Sox Park. When Jimmy heard this he said, "I see Debbie hasn't changed". I laughed because the fun loving teenage girl I first met over 30 years ago was still there, she just became the successful, caring, charitable, fun loving woman I love like the sister I never had. I had a great afternoon with friends and the White Sox won, what could be better. Sorry Jimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment