Monday, April 20, 2009

April 19 Rainy Day Music



Years ago there was a website called Music Misfits. It was run by a friend of mine, Cary who used to be in a band with my brother George. I used to write record reviews for that site and also had several interesting music geek discussions amongst the readers of the site. One of the topics was 'Rainy Day Music' which I described as 'happy to be depressed' music. Music fans usually want to listen to songs that match the mood they are in, party music for partying, dance songs for the clubs and slow depressing songs for rainy days. It was absolutely miserable yesterday, cold & a dark misty rain all day long. Why not curl up with two of my all time favorite 'rainy day' CD's. I'm pretty sure I own just about every release by Todd Snider and Wilco and these are my favorites by them, Songs For The Daily Planet & Being There. Todd Snider is a fantastic songwriter with a bit of a smartass streak to him. Obviously I would be a big fan. Wilco is easily one of the greatest bands of the past 20 years. Some may call them Alt Country but they really can't be pigeon holed to a single genre. Let's just say they play rock & roll. Without turning this into a review, just check out these two releases and let me know what you think of them. Back to my point, trying to describe "rainy day music". It's not that the songs themselves are depressing, it's just that some days you feel a bit more introspective. I'll listen more closely to the lyrics and analyze them a bit differently due to the darkness of the day. I can listen to these same CD's on a sunny day and get a whole different outlook on each song. Like I wrote earlier, some days I'm happy to be depressed. I can't explain it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. We just missed Todd Snider when he was in Kent and I was in Indy for MPACT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Todd live but he's on my list to catch next time he's in town

    ReplyDelete