Friday, April 10, 2009

April 9 Our Dining Companion

Over the 25 years I've known my wife Chrissy, we've had many dinner companions. You know, the one person or couple that always says yes when invited out for dinner. When we first started dating, it was Jim Drescher. The three of us went out often and sometimes Jimmy would bring a date. Then Jim got married and had kids, moved to Bumfuck, IN and we hardly see him anymore. After we got married, my friend Nick would always seem to stop by our apartment at dinner time. He had a job going door to door selling cable TV and found a way to be at our house when the food was cooking. Nick moved on to a better job that wasn't in our neighborhood. Then Chrissy's best friend Karen started dating Jim Cloghessy and they became our dinner partners. Of course they got married, had kids, disappeared from the face of the Earth. Todd & Vicki were not only good for a last minute dinner date, they were also great training partners at the local gym. Alas, they too had kids and moved to Bumfuck, IL. During this time we had our most reliable dinner companions, the Delgados. They were perfect since their daughter Kathy, had moved to California. We could stop by their house at noon, have lunch, sit in the yard, order pizza for dinner and stay until 11pm watching a movie. They were always up for a night out at a local eatery. I guess it's true, all good things come to an end. They retired to SoCal. Luckily they live near my parents and are still good for a night out. That brings us to Chrissy's Great Uncle Mike and his wife Ann. They were always up for a dinner, maybe a little earlier in the night but so what. We had a blast with them. They might have been twice our age, but it didn't show at dinner. Well Mike passed away at the age of ninety last fall. So that leaves Ann. She has the attitude of someone 60 years younger than her. I love spending a few hours having dinner and great conversations about any topic weith her. She usually gets me laughing and sometimes the conversation gets going and I talk like I do which includes words some people find offensive. Ann never says a word about it, she just keeps on talking. I have a lot of the same values and ideas about the world as Ann does, so it's nice to know that getting older won't change my perspective on things. I just hope to be as full of life (and piss & vinegar) as she is when I'm in my eightys.

No comments:

Post a Comment