Sunday, April 12, 2009

April 11 Busy Beavers, Dumb Dogs & Loud Dinosaurs















Since my dogs let me sleep until 11am, I felt like I owed them a treat. So off we went to Sweet Woods for a walk through the woods. Along Thorn Creek we came across the handiwork of some busy beavers. There were at least 20 trees that were freshly taken down by the hardly ever seen by me beavers. The wood chips were everywhere, but most of the trees were gone. Several were pretty big trees. I would love to watch the beavers at work. (Go ahead, insert your joke here. I'm already laughing at my last sentence.) It took about 5 tries to get my dogs to pose along the creek. That's why the get the dumb dogs reference today, but they were actually very good especially when we all sank about 10 inches in a muddy ravine on the way back to the car. Later in the day, my long time friend, Mike Crafton & I met Chrissy for dinner at Baja Fresh on our way to see Dinosaur Jr in Dekalb. I've been a big fan of Dino Jr for years but have never seen them live. Tonight they were playing in a small club called Otto's near Northern Illinois University. I happen to love J Mascis's vocals (most people hate his droning on singing style but I think it's perfect for the loud guitar music they play). On the CD's his vocals are out front of the guitars, seeing them live I was afraid the vocals would be lost in the mix. They were. And it was unbelievably loud. J Mascis stood in front of 6 Marshall amps stacked at least 8' high. They could have fill a concert hall ten times bigger than this club. I enjoyed the show more than Mike but I agreed with him that the volume caused too much distortion. It really was a shame because the sound is so clean on their CD's. That's all the time I have today. I have to start learning sign language because I may never hear clearly again.

1 comment: