Saturday, April 11, 2009

April 10 Johnny Cakes



Instead of skating with the Sudden Death club tonight, I played hockey with the Twardy brothers who rented the ice for a pick up game with friends. Unfortunately I showed up 1-1/2 hours early because Matt Twardy told me 10:40pm not the correct time of 11:40pm. Luckily some of the Sudden Death guys were still at the rink. So I joined them in their locker room. Since they pay the rink for that room, they fixed it up and the rest of us who use the public locker rooms call it 'Manadu' or the 'Boyquarium'. Anyway, Rick Voss, (who has had several derogatory nicknames over the years and is now known as Johnny Cakes from a character in the Sopranos) was holding court in Manadu. Rick was telling stories about a recent ski trip to Utah with Walter. Rick is one of the funniest guys I know(see Feb 24th Post). Over the years we have worked together on & off, but always have called each other with stupid shit that would make each of us laugh. Those calls can really help when you're having a bad day on the job. So tonight, Rick got on a roll, just rapid firing stories about mutual friends for about 40 minutes. He had me laughing the whole time which made me forgot how pissed I was at Matt for telling me the wrong time. As you can see from the pictures Rick is the whitest motherfucker on Earth. When he changes into his hockey equipment we have to look away, it's like looking into the sun, you get blinded. One of his many nicknames is "Whiteness", a take off on the Chapelle Show's Rick James skit. That's one of the youger players, Mike, probably not believing half the stories he heard, but they are all true. You couldn't make up shit like that. I did have a good time playing hockey until 1:40am and then having breakfast at Round The Clock with Jimmy Drescher (see yesterday's post). But it was Rick's storytelling that I thought I'd write about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment