Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 17 Parents






We spent the day with my parents. We just drove along the lake, stopped at Lakeview Beach and the Washington Park Zoo in Michigan City. It was a nice relaxing day. Since I have lived far away from my parents for over 25 years, I rarely get to spend a day like today with them. It made me wonder how different my life would be if I lived near them over the past quarter century. I know I would go out to eat with them a few times a month. Of course I would have to pick the restaurants, they like to eat at places close to them even if the food isn't that good. I would stop by just to say hi. Then probably chastise them for smoking so much or sitting on the couch watching CNN all day long. At least then my mom could physically smack me for being a brat instead of verbally smacking me over the phone. Deep down, I'll admit I wish I did live closer to them. I might goof on them, who am I kidding, I do goof on them. But I wouldn't trade them for any other parents. My mom's sense of humor, her love of family, her strong will to do the right thing, my dad's love of the beach, of music and his strong work ethic, always demanding to do the job the right way...these are some of the things I see in myself that I am damn glad I got from them. As for being a smart ass, I'm pretty sure that is a genetic trait too. So I'll blame that on them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment