Sunday, May 10, 2009

May 9 Saturday In The Park





The dogs started their 'you are not going to work, take us somewhere' campaign early in the morning. I gave in and took them to Sweet Woods in Thornton. Ever since I found out there was a German POW camp here during WWII, I 've been taking a closer look at the concrete remnants scattered throughout the forest. There are what appears to be the remains of bridges along Thorn Creek that twists through the park. The biggest structure is pictured above. It is used by local kids as a party spot at night. I have never seen anyone in it but the beer bottles, graffiti and burned wood are always present. I have no problem with that but I wish they would pick up the bottles once in awhile. I always walk Oslo on a leash because he can outrun me, but Fluffy walks off leash at her own pace which is usually 50 ft or so behind us. Today, I took Oslo down the embankment to the structure pictured above. Then I saw Fluff run by us looking worried and turning her head side to side, I called to her and she happily ran down to us. She made me laugh at her because she was so happy to find us. On the walk back to the car, she stayed much closer to us. The woods are exploding with green everywhere, the leaves on the trees and the forest ground cover. It's almost like a fluorescent green. The birds are singing throughout the forest. I even saw a heron flying above the trees. It is a great time of year to be in the woods, especially because the mosquitos are not out yet. There are large sections of the lower forest under water so I'm afraid the mosquitos are going to be real bad this year. This enjoyable day was capped off with a Blackhawks win in Vancouver. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment