Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 30 Lincoln Park's Green City Market























I got up at 6 AM to check out the Green City Market in Lincoln Park. If you've been reading these blogs you know by now that I believe in supporting small businesses over big corporations. There are plenty of places on the web to read about the dangers of big corporations being the only suppliers of our food. This isn't about that. It is about meeting people that are passionate about the quality of their products and supporting local food suppliers. I had an enjoyable conversation with Jessica Volpe, the Pasta Puttana, about adding mint to pasta sauce and Italian slang. I had my first pickled mushroom after being teased about never having eaten one before today. It was very tasty. I had the most amazing maple syrup sample and bought a bottle. Then talked about mountain biking in southern Indiana with the couple that make the syrup. Most of the food is organically grown or a specialty product like hand made pasta, so it may cost a little more than mass produced or chemically enhanced food products. It seems worth it to me. There are farmer's markets in most of the towns around Chicago this summer. Please support these markets and try something a little different for dinner tonight, good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment