Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 20 It's A New World Out There

This is what I did for 14 hours today. Impressed? I know this is only interesting to me but I'm suppose to write about what I know. I spent all day upgrading the credit card readers at this Shell station with the new PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliant keypads. Big fucking deal you might be saying to yourself right about now. Well it actually is a big deal. All the merchants that want to take debit cards must be PCI compliant by July 2010. What this means is simple. Every store that accepts debit cards must buy new equipment that will accept TDES (Triple Data Encryption Standard). Are you still reading this blog. God damn it, get a fucking life. Do something productive with your valuable time. Still here. I'll continue. Currently there is only Single Data Encryption. I have no idea why they are skipping Double Data Encryption. This is a security feature that will protect your card & PIN information from criminals. You wouldn't believe how easy it was to get that info only 7 years ago. It was possible for me to print out a log of all credit card numbers with expiration dates on most gas station computers. Now they mask those numbers. Of course the expense of these upgrades will be passed on to the consumers. If you're still reading this you probably need me to explain that a consumer would be you. Now get out there and start consuming, this economy needs a boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment