Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 17 Commit To The Indian


"Commit to the Indian" was Denis Savard's phrase to his players after a poor performance during a Blackhawks game. Savard was fired not long after that comment. I have fully committed to the Indian. Sure I was like most fans and gave up on my hockey team ever contending for the Cup. But then a wonderful thing happened, Bill Wirtz died. He was the team owner who did everything in his power to destroy his own team and alienate his fans. His son, Rocky changed all that before the old man's body got cold. He put all the games on TV, he hired as team president John McDonough and Scotty Bowman as an advisor. The Hawks were back on the sports map and great promotions brought some fans back. Then the team started playing great hockey. The Hawks are the youngest team in the league and exciting to watch. So on a beautiful spring Sunday, I spent the afternoon on my couch watching game one of the Conference finals. I'm committed to the Indian. The defending Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings against the upstart Blackhawks. The Red Wings won 5-2 and it could have been worse except for Nikolai Khabibulin in goal. He was incredible. I'm still committed. I am also realistic, the Hawks looked overmatched. But I'm not giving up. Like all good Hawks fans, I hate the Red Wings and would love to see the Blackhawks beat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment