Friday, March 6, 2009

March 5 The Shit Storm Cometh

I rose from the dead and went to work today. Medically, it was a mistake. I thought I had a sore back from sleeping for 36 straight hours. Guess not. I must have pulled something during one of my coughing fits over the past few days. By the end of the day, I couldn't move in any direction without excruciating pain. But I did manage to get some lovely pictures of a factory on 21st Street in Gary. Why you ask? Several reasons. I really do love urban decay pictures and cityscapes in general. But that is not why I needed it for today's blog. I spent a spring like afternoon in Gary on a job. The sun was shining, it was at least 60 degrees and people were generally in a good mood because of the weather. When I left I saw the black storm clouds heading my way, on the radio more dark clouds about unemployment claims rising, foreclosures at record highs and GM admitting that bankruptcy may be their only option. As I drove around the decimated remains of Gary's former glory with all this bad news in the air, a thought came to me. At the height of Gary's success as steelbuilder to the world, did anyone think it could ever sink as low as it has? It makes me wonder how far the US can fall with it's current problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment