Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 28 I Met The Devil

Last night, I met the devil. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I met my musician friend Mike & his wife Vicki at Pizza D.O.C. for dinner and conversation. Mike released his debut CD "Opening Soon Under New Management" in 2007. You can check it out at his MySpace page. If you like the music, you can download the CD from his site or you can buy the CD from Amazon or Spade Kitty Records. If you need another a reason to support Mike, he also works with Chicago school kids as part of the Tutor/Mentor program which also deserves your support. Now back to my story, we got together to talk about music because Mike is currently recording his next CD, "Powder Kegs Beneath Dagger Trees". As an independent artist, Mike is looking to learn all he can about the music business and I fall under the music geek section. Unlike most artists, Mike is fully involved with all aspects of his music. He has a very talented band that is comprised of other local artists that help each other reach their musical goals. Mike says the musicians are part of the local music scene that play on each others records while also doing their own music. After dinner we walked down through Lincoln Square to the Daily Bar & Grill to continue bullshitting the night away. The art of conversation has been lost to e-mails & texting, but I love sitting with a group of friends talking the night away. Tonight was the fix this junkie needed. The topics flowed like the glasses of Harp Lager...politics, music, family, travel, eating & cooking, the absolute wonder of enjoying nature. The three of us were sitting in a booth in the middle of the bar, when a well dressed man walked up to us. Mike introduced him to me as the Devil. He shook my hand. They caught up and he wandered to the bar. We continued drinking and talking. On the way out, we crossed the Devil's path again. He remembered my name (great!) and politely shook my hand again while saying very nice to meet you. (Damn!) As we walked through the rain, I asked why they called him the Devil. It turns out he played the Devil in Mike's video for his song "Summer". His real name is Sean and he is a regular at their neighborhood bar. So Mike asked him to be in the video. And here's the exclamation point on my perfect evening out, the Devil is also a carpenter.

No comments:

Post a Comment