Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 22 Masonic Temple, Hammond, IN

I stumbled across this building being torn down in Hammond, IN. So I took the time to find out what this huge building I'd never really noticed used to be. It turns out it was a 100 year old Masonic Temple that fell into disrepair, pretty much like all of Hammond. I didn't grow up around here so I have no memories of Hammond in it's heyday. But I am a fan of downtown areas of any city, large or small. I believe that in order for America to become what it once was, it needs to have cities with a thriving downtown section. Hopefully with locally owned stores and restaurants. If you've ever seen the movie, A Christmas Story, the writer grew up in Hammond and more than likely went to visit Santa in one of the department stores that used to line Hohman Avenue. Anyway, I bid adieu to another building from a long lost golden age of a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment