Friday, December 4, 2009

December 1 Weezer


I've been to a lot of concerts in my lifetime. Weezer tonight at the beautifully remodeled Aragon Ballroom was one of my all time favorite shows. From the first song's guitar riff of "Hash Pipe", the singer Rivers Cuomo commanded the stage and was extremely entertaining all night. The band was just as good. Cuomo is like watching Buddy Holly fronting a good punk band. The songs are catchy as hell and the lyrics, which draw me to a song first, are classic pop material with a great edge to them. The band breezed through a handful of high energy three minute pop classics, then they brought out a young girl who won a contest to sing the latest single "If You Want Me To" with the band. This song is my favorite of the year. It is why I decided to come to the show. That and Cindy Lou said she would go with me. At first I was mad that this girl was going to ruin my favorite song, but she could sing and the duet sounded very cool. The young girl next to me, not Cindy, was a hardcore fan. She was singing every song. While the band played the Pink Floyd song, "Time". The singer made his way through the crowd and sang "I'm Your Daddy" while standing on the soundboard equipment about 20 feet from us. I had to smile as the girl next to me freaked out being that close to Rivers. When the band came out for the first encore, they all had Blackhawk jerseys on. Nice touch for the Chicago crowd. After "Pork & Beans" they broke into "Kids" by MGMT mashed with "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa. They closed the show, the first night of their new tour, with two pop classics, "Island In The Sun" & "Buddy Holly". The band was in mid tour form already. If you are looking for a fun night out, catch Weezer in your town. The pictures are from the show but not mine, I took them from Weezer's website. The ticket is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment