Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21, 2013 One Blog,Two Social Club Announcements for May & June

Like most people, the warmer weather means I have less time spent indoors doing things like planning my Social Club meetings. So...drum roll please...this blog will include both the May & June dates for the Social Club. The May event will be at the 143rd Acoustic Jam / Open Table Potluck at Paul Henry's Art Gallery in Hammond, IN. The address is 416 Sibley Hammond, IN. The following are the details I copied from their Facebook page.
 

THURSDAY, MAY 30th, we will offer another TRUE ACOUSTIC night at Paul Henry's Art Gallery. The JAM begins at 7PM.

Musicians, singers and songwriters, and fans thereof, bring your voices and your instruments and your energy, 7PM til 11PM. (Each and every Thursday!!)

No amps! No mics! Just you, the music and the audience. Additionally, bring your contribution to the potluck food table, entree, side dish, dessert or finger food. If you play or bring a food item, it is worth two dollars off the cover charge of $5.00.

We will definitely have the grill going out in back and the picnic table set up...bring something to put on the grill if you wish!

Visit the following link if you would like a fine look at the activities during the JAM, courtesy of Jim Quattrocki. http://vimeo.com/59661699.
 
 
I have been to the art gallery and the Acoustic Jam Nights several times. The building is behind the Towle Theater, where we have season tickets for their plays. What makes this place so special, at least in my opinion, is that the building is over 100 years old and was a hardware store for most of it's existence. Once you enter the building, you will realize you are in an old time hardware store with some very interesting pieces of art displayed throughout the building. There are many local artists who have their work on display here, yes it really is in Hammond, IN. If you've ever read my blog, you must know I love supporting local artists and live music. So come out next week and support both with a few dollars for a night out. I know several of my friends are musicians and/or singers, so come out and perform. It is a really laid back vibe at this place. So if you've ever thought of playing in public, this would be perfect for you. Just for the record, I have no musical talent so I won't be performing, just appreciating those who do play or sing. I chose the Lou Shields video below because I saw him play that night at Paul Henry's and I bought one of his amazing drawings from his "Soul Yard Revisited" series. Check him out at http://www.loushieldsart.com/

 
 

 
 
The June Social Club event will require you to stay up all night long. I've done this event a few times and it is a blast. It is the L.A.T.E. Ride. (It is short for Long After Twilight Ends) It is a nice slow paced 25 mile bike ride through the streets of Chicago that starts after midnight and includes riding along the Lakefront Trail as the sun rises over Lake Michigan. Here are a few links of blogs I have on this event...2009 L.A.T.E. Ride , 2010 L.A.T.E. Ride ,  2011 L.A.T.E. Ride.  This event will be on June 29th /30th. You must sign up at  Lateride.org. Just so you know, it starts and ends at Grant Park. If you have any questions, contact me. If you are planning to attend let me know. We'll probably meet at Buckingham Fountain about midnight. I'll post details about meeting spot closer to the date.


No comments:

Post a Comment