Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 9, 2014 Spending Time With My Cousin Michelle

This is my cousin Michelle. She stayed with us for the last seven weeks because she got a job stage managing at the Oil Lamp Theater in Glenview. Because of our work schedules, there were times I didn't see her for several days at a time. Since this is her last weekend with us before heading back to college, I took her out for dinner in the city.

We had dinner at Bottlefork because I know a chef that works there. Anyway, we got seats at the bar with a great view of the food being prepared. Now I wished I brought a better camera than my small pocket camera. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

They had great napkins, I wanted to steal one...but I didn't.

The food was damn tasty here. We had Salmon Crudo, then the Smoked Suckling Pig Flatbread with
Green Garlic + Almond Pistou + Pickled Spring Onions...my half has cheese, Michelle's doesn't due to lactose intolerance. Also pictured are some delicious Kennebec Fries with
Malt Vinegar Aioli.

Then we had Mussels with Rye Ale + Ham Broth and  Rye Fries. Now I will admit this was really good food. But I did spend the next couple of hours trying to find public toilets in downtown Chicago so my guess is the raw salmon or the mussels brought on a post dinner digestive disturbance I could have done without as we walked over to Michigan Avenue...

...along the way we passed this famous Chicago institution.

We walked up Michign Ave to the Water Tower, then back down to Grant Park.

The Michigan Avenue Bridge...

...with Michelle posing on it with the river in the background...

...then the Wrigley Building in the background.

We watched the fireworks at Navy Pier from Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. It was a beautiful night in the city. We spent the entire night talking about this and that, life, college, future plans, the sorry condition of our country right now both socially and politically but the one thing I will always remember is....



...when Michelle told me that she likes Chicago but couldn't live here because she wants to live in a city where you don't need a car to get around. I said you grew up in Southern California without any public transportation, so where do you plan on living. New York City was her reply. I asked why besides a really good subway would you choose NYC. "This is gonna sound strange but when I'm in New York City I feel something special...something different from anywhere else...like I belong there" is what she said. With a huge smile on my face I told her I know exactly what she means because I know that feeling...I get it every time I visit that city. I felt as happy as the Bee Girl in Blind Melon's "No Rain" video when she discovers there are people just like her in the world. 


We had a late dessert at Mercat Ala Planxa. I had some fried custard with blood orange sorbet...

and Michelle had  Croquette De Xocolata with Banana Marshmallow, Rosemary Infused Caramel & Arbequina Olive Oil.

So these videos are for you Michelle. It's going to take a lot of hard work but it will be worth it. Then someday you'll live in NYC and I'll come visit you and we can dance in Bee costumes in Central Park with all the other people that feel the same way in NYC.









No comments:

Post a Comment