Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 3, 2014 I Just Wanna Dance and Sing in the Rain At Lollapalooza (Concert #32)

Sure the sky was gun metal gray but things were looking up because we were catching the #808 train to Lollapalooza...how appropriate!!!! Music fans will know why. By the time we got to the Harrison station...the worm had turned. My partner in crime at Lolla this weekend and good friend Patty decided to put herself on the PUP list. Physically Unable to Perform List....two days of Lolla can take a toll and she pulled herself out of the game. To steal a line from my brother Georgie "Alone Again...Naturally".
I caught the end of The Kongos set and they ended with their hit "Come With Me Now". I decided to dedicate it to Patty who tried like hell to make it to Lolla despite the incredible pain in her knee.



Now here's where today's blog got it's name. I simply can not dance. I wish I could but I just can't do it. I want to dance but I have no fucking rhythm at all. Even with Outkast playing last night I tried and failed to move my body in any kind of motion that would be considered dancing. So the band I really wanted to check out today is Nashville's very own, Space Capone.  

These guys were fantastic. Even with the rain pouring down, it was a party at the BMI stage. I tried to dance and failed miserably. But I had fun listening to this band.

They proved my general rule for concerts...if the band is having fun....so is the audience.


I caught Delta Rae on my way to see Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue. I enjoyed their country rock sound. I thought the lyrics to several songs told a story very well. The band had good energy too....

....but Trombone Shorty had tons of energy. And his band was tight. This is New Orleans party music that covers several musical genres. Even Mother Nature stopped the rain to check out Trombone Shorty.


I caught RAC for a song or two on my way to see Cage The Elephant. The rain had started to take a toll on Grant Park.


Cage the Elephant surprised me because I only know them by their frat rock hit like "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked". Most of their songs sound nothing like that song and I still really liked their set. They really impressed me with an energetic show full of good songs.

After a bite to eat, I caught Glen Hansard on the Lakeshore Stage. FYI, I loved the movie "Once". Today I became a fan of Glen Hansard. The gut wrenching vocals won me over along with that Irish humour and blue collar approach to performing live. Of course, the well written songs also help win me over. Usually I'd rather see a louder act perform at Lolla due to the lack of an intimate space in the huge expanse of Grant Park. Mr. Hansard convinced me that mellower music works when done right. Slainte to you Glen.


The rain has been falling on & off since I got here and the sky has provided some interesting photos with the city in the foreground.



I love the Avett Brothers and this is my first time seeing them live. I have heard they are a must see live act. Now I know why. I was not prepared for the ferocious audio assault and frantic stage presence of this amazing band....  

....and despite the heaviest rain of the day...I LOVED IT!!!! I already knew I liked their music but on record they are much mellower and I love their songs for that reason. Today I loved the songs even more. The best way to describe it would be punk country music or country rock with a punk attitude. Whether it was a fast rocker or a slow ballad, everyone sang along to every song. I loved standing in a driving rain storm to witness this show, especially the heartfelt 'I and Love and You'. Great songwriting + amazing performance = perfect show. 

The cello player, Joe Kwon stole the show with his frenetic playing of a instrument more known for classical music. I am telling everyone that enjoys music to see this band play live.


Young The Giant filled the south end of the park. I listened from a distance and enjoyed the little bit I heard. But I wanted to be up front for Kings of Leon....

....and I was....standing in deep mud that required lifting my feet up every so often to free myself from getting stuck and falling over as the crowd swayed back and forth.
KOL put on a great show, cranked through the extensive list of wonderful songs and provided enough energy to keep this old man standing despite being completely exhausted, covered in mud and soaking wet. A great way to end three days of music for me.

I survived another Lollapalooza. I saw a few acts that I knew play live for the first time and discovered a few bands that I'd never even heard of before this weekend....that's what a good music festival is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment