Sunday, May 14, 2023

April 15, 2023 The Grand Canyon Rim Trail in the Morning & the South Kaibab Trail in the Afternoon

 

We were out late last night celebrating Debbie & George's Anniversary. So today we decided to take it easy this morning. Christy & I picked up some breakfast items and decided to take the shuttle bus out to Mohave Point on the Rim Trail.

We ate breakfast with a view this morning. 

Our plan was to hike back to the GC Village on the Rim Trail and meet Deb & George for lunch. Then take the shuttle bus to the South Kaibab Trail and hike into the canyon this afternoon. But Deb called me and they decided to join us so we ate our breakfast while waiting for them to join us.

Then the four of us enjoyed the amazing views at Mohave Point.





These twisted trees are strangely beautiful.


We headed east on the Rim Trail heading toward Hopi Point.

There is plenty to see in between the named lookouts. 











To be honest, I'm not sure if this is Hopi Point or still Mohave Point or something in between the two.

What I am sure about is that all these pictures were taken along the Grand Canyon Rim Trail...

...on a beautiful April morning.

I'm a geek for these historical markers.

The colors in the canyon appear to change from different viewpoints and the position of the sun. 


I'm guessing this is the path between Hopi Point and Powell Point

I would love to see a time-lapse video of the creation of the Grand Canyon.  

I know I take too many photos but there are so many incredible views as you walk along this trail. 

This is Powell Point as we head toward it. 




Once again Deb & Christy are ahead of us. 

There is still snow in the areas that don't get direct sunlight.

I am always amazed at how trees find a way to survive in rock areas. 


There are so many different rock formations in this canyon. 
I can't stop taking pictures, every time I see something new I take another photo.

In case you are wondering, this is my process. I hike along the trail looking at everything in front of me. At a place like this, I just keep saying "Can you believe this view?" Then I look around for an interesting shot. Today everywhere I look is an interesting photo.

I'm pretty sure this is Maricopa Point.



On the Rim Trail at the Trailview Overlook.




A combination of the two photos above this.

This is looking across from the Trailview Overlook at the Bright Angel Trail we hiked on yesterday.

Another shot of the Bright Angel Trail.

After our Rim Trail Hike, we walked from the Village East along the Rim Trail to the Park Headquarters. After we cajoled a stranger to take this photo. We had lunch at the Yavapai Lodge. 

Then we took a blue Shuttle bus to the orange Shuttle Bus which dropped us off at the South Kaibab trailhead.

We began our hike into the Grand Canyon with Deb & George leading the way.

I made Christy stop here because I liked the way the sun lit up her hair.

Deb has way more energy than I do.

There are some very high cliff walls at the beginning of this hike.


It's a rare instance when I am ahead of Christy.

Once again, the scenery is amazing in all directions.

Heading down into the canyon provides some great views.


Christy is taking as many pictures as I do.








Christy and I decided to stop at Ooh Aah Point. Deb & George went further into the canyon.

We rested here and took pictures.




Then we began our methodical hike back up the canyon.

We stopped often to drink water and catch our breath.

Which gave us more time to take pictures.




Our system climbing up worked out for us. 

We felt good overall and made the hike back in good time for us...

...and we enjoyed the uphill hike.

The scenery also helped us enjoy the hike.

Something about hiking in such a beautiful place on a perfect weather day can give you that extra energy when you need it.



As the sun dropped lower, it lit up the west-facing parts of the canyon.



Hiking upward...


...looking back at the switchbacks we just hiked up.








The view from the trailhead.

Nothing but smiles from Debbie & George as they make it back to the trailhead.
Everyone felt good, so we took the shuttle bus to Yaki Point.

We walked around Yaki Point and enjoyed the views from another wonderful place to view the Grand Canyon.





We took the shuttle buses back to our hotel and had dinner in the Village. On the way back to our hotel after dinner, we ran into an elk grazing on the hotel's landscaping. You'll have to check Christy's posts because I didn't get any pictures but she did. It was a perfect way to end a wonderful day in a National Park.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment