Tuesday, April 5, 2022

March 19, 2022 A Family Party at my Aunt & Uncle's House

 Today's blog is a love story about a boy from Kansas and a girl from New York City. They met in Colorado. They married in 1956 and raised a family while traveling around the world. After they retired, they spent two years touring North America in a small camper. Eventually, they bought a house in the foothills of a small town in Northern San Diego County. 

This is my Uncle Ed & Aunt Pat in Japan in 1961.

This house has had many family events over the years. Since many members of the family were in town for my Aunt Pat's Memorial Celebration tomorrow, Uncle Ed invited everyone to the house for lunch today. It was a wonderful day spent with family that hasn't been all together in a long time. All photos were taken at their house by Christy & me.

My cousin Cori's daughter Ariana

Michelle & Anna
I believe Michelle is the youngest of my first cousin's kids and Anna is the oldest. To keep me out of trouble I'm going to say they are only a few years apart.


Cori helping her nephew Alec...

...and her niece Lucy on the swing.

Lucy, Cori & Alec
I told Cori that I thought it was so cool that her daughter got to play in the house that she used to play in. She looked at me and said isn't that great. I said it was but since I remember when she was that little and now I feel really fucking old.

A group shot of my first cousins twice removed in front of a playhouse my Uncle Ed built for his grandchildren and now his great grandchildren play in it. 

My cousin Patty

Uncle Ed

It's been a very long time since all of us were together. I just loved walking around and seeing everyone hanging out. 

James, Cori & her daughter Ariana

(L-R) Katt with her daughters Laura, Rose and David (Laura's husband)

Terry (my first cousin) Michelle & Anna (my first cousins once removed)

A bunch of us going through Aunt Pat & Uncle ed's old photos. There were a lot of family photos I have never seen.

Karissa's (my first cousin once removed) daughter Lucy having fun on the swing with her Aunt Cori.

Guess who wanted his picture taken in the kid's playhouse. To be honest I was thinking about all the memories I have of my grandparent's apartment in NYC. I'm pretty confident all my cousin's kids and grandkids will have the same fond memories of this house.

Christy & I have stayed at my Aunt & Uncle's house several times over the years. I love this place when all of us are here. I tried to spend time with everyone here today.

I also love this place when it was just Christy & me with my Aunt & Uncle. Those that know me well, know I can sit for hours and listen to family stories. We did that a lot with Pat & Ed. One night we were up until two in the morning. Before going to bed, Christy & I went outside to see the stars. The sky was lit up with stars down to the horizon. I was spinning around looking up completely amazed by what I saw. I fell to the ground laughing and lay there looking up. I told Christy to come out and wake me up in the morning. I wanted to stay out all night. It was a great way to end a wonderful day with my Aunt & Uncle.

The property here is a joy to walk around. When Ed & Pat were younger, they had an impressive garden. Ed grew up on a farm in Kansas.

These two photos go together. Here we are some of the older people having a conversation...

...and the younger one would rather have fun on a swing. I completely understand.

A mountain in the background makes every picture better.

There is a wide variety of flora on the property.

See Above



Annie, Katt & Rose

Sisters Laura & Michelle

Sisters Annie & Anna

The young ones playing...

...and the three first-born cousins talking. (me, Terry & Mary)



No comments:

Post a Comment