Thursday, October 13, 2011

September 23, 2011 Why I Need To Travel

Life is supposed to be simple by now. All these technological improvements were supposed to make our lives easier. Yet, everyone seems more busy than ever. Life is slipping away from us and all I can do is write a blog about it. Well that's not quite true. I have a plan...I'm leaving. I've done this in the past and it has been theraputic for me...Alaska, Norway, Arizona, California, Circle Lake Michigan drive, drive to Nova Scotia, visit the National Parks...Yellowstone, Badlands, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Acadia, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Denali, Wrangell-St. Elias, Kenai Fjords. All these trips have one thing in common...hiking. Hiking is the only way for me to get away from modern life and all it's entrapments. It's so simple...a backpack...a camera...hiking boots and a trail that leads away from everything that doesn't matter and takes you back in time and into the real world, no cell phone or cable TV. Just the things that do matter like fresh air...nature...trees...rivers...mountains...canyons and wildlife. I need these trips like a junkie needs heroin. I have been planning this trip for almost a year and it kept me going through a grueling summer of 60 to 80 hour work weeks. So after watching "Into The Wild" and "127 Hours" in the past week, I am off to Calgary. My first stop will be Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada.


As soon as I saw this shirt I had to buy. This is exactly what I need to get from the next two weeks...something good for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment