Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 15 Carpe Diem

A rare weekend that Chrissy & I both have the days off and nothing scheduled. The day starts out with some shower sex. Oh no, not my usual shower sex, this time Chrissy was in there with me. No matter what happens the rest of the day, this will be a great day. So after an early morning walk around the block with the dogs. We are off to Lincoln Park with our niece Kristian.

First stop the Green City Market. It is the first outdoor farmer's market of the year. The selections of fresh produce are limited to herbs, lettuce, mushrooms and apples this early in the season. But there is a great selection of flowers and plants for your own garden. So we pick up several different tomato plants, a basil plant and some pepper plants. Of course we pick up handmade pasta, fiery red chile linguine, from the Pasta Puttana. The day continues to be a great day.

Then we are off to Lincoln Park Zoo. The biggest free zoo in the country. I really do enjoy spending time in the city. The diversity, the freedom of expression and the talented street performers really do add a special experience that is missing in the suburbs. Most of the animals were outside and very active. My good luck continued. Nothing could ruin this day, I didn't even care when I got accosted by a clown in the bathroom at the Children's Zoo. But it did make me wonder what kind of parent let's their children within 50 feet of clowns.
A talented old man playing guitar, a trying to be funny but came off as bitter magician and a trumpet player serenading the polar bears.
 It was a good day for head shots.
This spectacle bear was enjoying bone day. My dogs would have been jealous.
This old girl, a sun bear,  had jaw surgery which caused her tongue to hang out. She was a favorite with the crowd.
This old girl was so excited to find freshly made cotton candy that she was touching herself.
This zebra must have been very hungry. Which reminded me...where is that pretzel cart?
On our way home from the big city, we stopped at the William Powers State Recreation Area. This is more commonly known as Wolf Lake on the Indiana side. Yes, it is surrounded by industries that have polluted it for years. But it is getting better. As evidenced by the many people fishing there and a rather large swan population on the lake. Of course the swans were not the pristine white swans you usually see. I think a dirty white describes them best but I still think it is great to see wildlife returning to this area. Yet another pleasant surprise for me today. We dropped off Kristian and picked up our dogs. It's been such a great day, we decide to take them to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore for a walk along the beach at sunset. Did I mention that the sky has been blanketed with cold gray clouds all day. Of course I didn't because this has been a perfectly enjoyable day and the clouds did not matter. Well guess what. The clouds broke right at sunset and we saw a beautiful sky as the sun went down. 
We found a driftwood tree trunk at the appropriately named Lake View beach. The sun was setting right over the city of Chicago and we had an amazing view relaxing on the beach.
The perfect ending to a perfect day. I mean what could top this sunset. Just head home and go to bed. Days like this do not happen very often. But wait, I haven't eaten since that pretzel at Lincoln Park Zoo. Let's drive by Smokey's BBQ and see if they are still open. 

My luck continues and my perfect day ends with a pulled pork sandwich, a side of potato salad and a slice of homemade blueberry pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment