Friday, December 31, 2021

Our Michigan Trip with the Dogs: Part Four - Lake Huron, a May Snowstorm, Our Long Drive Home


I've been taking road trips for most of my life. As a kid, we took a lot of trips to visit family. My memories of those trips are all good. I was 19 when I moved out of my parent's house. I haven't lived near anyone in my family since then. So I still take trips to visit my family. Christy and I started taking trips that didn't involve the family in the early 1990s. We have taken quite a few memorable trips. But we have never brought our dogs on an overnight trip until last year. That trip went so well, we decided to do it again this year. This is the last day of this trip. We have all day to drive back home. 

Nola & Yeti were really good on this trip. These two spoiled dogs are the only ones we've taken with us on a vacation. I'm pretty sure all our others dogs are looking down at us and barking "What the fuck, you never took us on vacation!!!"

I told Nola & Yeti this is what happens if you try to sleep on the couch. They must have believed me because they slept on the floor every night.

We loved this cabin and its location down a dirt road into the forest.

Yeti wanted to stay here forever.

So we left him here and drove away. OK, I'm joking...

...we left him in the woods behind the house. Relax, I'm still joking. I love my dogs.

We plan on driving south along Lake Huron then cut across the state and drive back home.

Our first stop was Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse.

Another great lighthouse. The state of Michigan has so many incredible lighthouses.

I would love to live here.

This was our best view on the Mackinac Bridge

Once again, Michigan has really good historical signs.

I just can't help myself. 


This is the last one, I promise. We drove south on Route 23 along Lake Huron.

Our next stop was at Cheboygan State Park.

We hiked through the forest to Lake Huron.

We hiked along the lake for a while...

...it was a gray day so I tried a few B&W shots. I like this one.

Back through the forest on the Sunrise Coast Birding Trail.


We had fun here and now we are driving south in search of another place to visit.

Our next stop was perfect for a history dork like me. 
The 40 Mile Point Lighthouse and Historical Marker.


The pilot house from the steamer Calcite, built in 1912. It was the first self-unloading steamer on the Great Lakes.




I love Michigan's tourist information.

The Fog Signal building

The 40 Mile Point Lighthouse from the beach.

This lighthouse was built in 1896.

There is a shipwreck here but it is underwater so there isn't much to see.



 
You can volunteer to work here for up to four weeks. You can't stay in the lighthouse, you must have your own RV...

...I can picture me staying here for a month.

Yes, I know I take too many pictures of lighthouses. I'm so amazed by the families that lived in these remote areas in the 1800's. 

Eventually, Christy made me leave this wonderful place.

Our next stop was P.H. Hoeft State Park. 


We could only hike with the dogs in the forest. They weren't allowed on the beach.

We had to explain to Yeti & Nola that they couldn't go on the beach. 

We finally convinced them to turn around to hike in the pine forest.

What could be next?...

Surprise, it's another lighthouse. The new Presque Isle Lighthouse.

Built in 1870...

...and very impressive.

My obligatory B&W photo.


I did try to go to the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse which was built in 1840. But the road was closed and when I began walking to the lighthouse weather took a drastic turn for the worse. It started as rain, then a downpour, then the temperature dropped and it began to snow. It snowed heavily for the next few hours over 160 miles driving west then south. We eventually drove far enough south to get out of the snowstorm.


We finally stopped to eat and take the dogs for a walk at Wilson State Park.

It was nice to see some blue sky.

The dogs were happy to be out of the car. So was I.

This was our last stop in Michigan. We had another 275 miles to home. At least the weather was good.
Another Covid avoiding vacation ended up being a great time spent outdoors in the state of Michigan.


No comments:

Post a Comment