Saturday, May 26, 2018

May 26, 2018 An Early Morning Hike at Central Beach

Driving into the sun breaking through as if pouring down from Heaven.

I love my local NPS property.

The wetlands on Central Avenue.


The NPS is replacing the old staircase at the west end of the parking lot, so we walked to the beach on the service road.

Lake Michigan is very calm today with temps rising into the 90's. We had the heat on two weeks ago.

Due to the incredible amount of erosion in the past two years, there is a steep drop off to get down to the beach.

Another beautiful morning on the beach.

The dunes have eroded from 50 to 75 feet above the beach.

I guess this can be considered dune tumbleweed.

It was 65 degrees when we left Lansing at 6:15am. It was 75 degrees here 45 minutes later...

...and climbing.

So we spent a lot of time in the lake.

All that sand collapsing down the dunes has created a huge sand bar that goes far into the lake.

Mother Nature hasn't been kind to the beaches on the south end of Lake Michigan.

It is amazing to walk along and see the destruction of these massive dunes.

The lake is very clear and shallow.

Oslo leading the way toward Mount Baldy.

This is a photographer's wet dream, blue skies and impressive shapes and textures...

...everywhere you look.

Trees littered the beach walking east toward Mount Baldy.


Nola and Oslo checking out some kind of white mossy stuff on the beach.

If this continues, there may not be any beach dunes left in the near future.

Shooting east into the sun.

Shooting west along the shore.


I made this one B&W...it is called "The Tree Graveyard".

Oslo with his big smile.

Taken from about 30 feet into the lake, the water wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

I wish I had my good camera...

...it was a perfect day and harsh natural beauty for a subject.

Even Oslo was checking out the dunes.

We lost our sand bar, so it was time to turn around. I was alright with the water at my knees, but it was too cold for the boys...you guys know what I am talking about.

Nola was having fun in the water...

...and shaking what her momma gave her.

Oslo enjoying a stroll on the beach.


Nola loves checking out the eroded dunes. Tree roots exposed here.

It was getting too hot so we headed back.

My brown eyed girl...

relaxing for a moment on the beach.

Oslo in what I believe is his Own Private Idaho...relaxing on the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment