Saturday, May 12, 2018

April 29, 2018 Still Looking for Spring Color...Maybe on the Miller Woods Trail

This is Chrissy's last Sunday off for three months and I am on call next weekend, so we took the dogs to Miller Woods. I have hiked this trail once before a few months ago and loved it. This is one of my favorite trails in NWI. It has ponds, dune and swale wetlands, rare Black Oak Savanna, sand dunes, wildlife flying above and swimming in the water and Lake Michigan beaches. I was hoping to see more spring colors but Mother Nature is still delaying our burst of new life this year. That said, it was a beautiful day for a hike. 


The NPS is renovating the Environmental Education Center here. I believe it will reopen this spring.

These two were thrilled to out hiking for the fourth day in a row.

Notice how the geese are swimming before seeing us...

...a bit more protective after seeing the dogs.

There are small signs of spring. Some of the grass is green again.

Nola getting a drink.

We saw and heard woodpeckers along the trail.

Still no signs of life from the trees. 

The girls were leading the way. Oslo and I were taking our time and enjoying the hike.

Even through the forest, there are wetlands along this trail.

I love the sound of the wind rustling the tall swamp grass.

I guess we caught up with the girls as we cross the Grand Calumet River bridge...

...and enter the sand dunes portion of this hike.

The trail follows the dunes along the water's edge.


A pause for a thirst cause.

It's single file along this section of the trail.

We saw what we believe was a beaver in the water here. Sorry no good pictures because it stayed away until we left this area, then went into it's home in a hole along the shore. It was the same hole I had to pull Nola's head from minutes ago. She loves to stick her head into open holes in trees, the ground and along the shoreline. One day, she's gonna find the resident home and it won't be pretty.
There were a few small dunes to climb over before reaching the beach. This trail really does showcase the varied natural places found in Northwest Indiana.

The sweet sound of the surf...like Ozzy once sang, "Mama I'm coming home".

This was a very clear day on the lake. The city of Chicago was in full view today.

Since this was the fourth day in a row of hiking, for Oslo's sake, we just rested on the beach at the trailhead. This hike is 3.4 miles round trip and it was warm in the sun with a cold breeze off the lake. Oslo likes the cold breeze over the warm sun.

Even Chrissy relaxed on the beach.

Dog faces.




Nola got bored so I let her explore the eroded edge of the dunes.


"Steel Mills to the left of me...
....steel mills to the right. Here I am. Stuck in the middle with you."

Oslo and I heading back...

...we fell behind again.

I love this trail. Something different on every turn, over each dune and across the water.




Oslo didn't want to get out of the water.

I had to use my hoodie to lift Oslo up onto the bridge. The sand eroded away and he couldn't lift himself up onto the bridge. Since he was just in the water, now my hoodie is all wet. The things I do for my four legged hiking friend.


As we climbed the stairs back to the parking lot, Oslo flopped down. Chrissy said it was because he was tired. I knew better. It was really because he knew we were going back to the car. He loves it out here so much that he wanted to stay a little longer. I can't blame him for that. So do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment