Saturday, January 1, 2022

October 23, 2021 Pilsen Mural Walk




Every time I have been in Pilsen, I've been fascinated by the street murals.  I have read about the artists who have created these political, thought-provoking, personal, and whimsical murals. This post about the Loteria Doors in Pilsen on the Decay Devils facebook page led several of us to meet at Halsted and 16th Street for a walking photo shoot. The plan is to walk along 16th Street from Halsted Street to Ashland Avenue. Then walk back to Halsted on 18th Street through the heart of Pilsen. Most of these murals on 16th Street are on the concrete walls of the train yard and the street underpasses below the train yard. On 18th Street, the murals are on the buildings. Since I decided not to comment on these photos, the best way to view this post is to click on the first photo to make it full size then scroll through all the photos. I believe the best way to truly see a neighborhood is to walk along its streets, talk with the people that live there, and support the local businesses. That is what we did while taking these pictures. Please take some time on each of the many murals I photographed. They all tell a story but each of us might interpret that story differently. Some made me laugh, some brought tears. At times I felt anger. Some murals gave me joy and some caused me to reflect on my life choices or the artist's life and intentions. In my opinion, this is the greatest aspect of any creative work of art. If it makes me feel something, the artist created something worthwhile. I love it whether it causes joy or pain, anger or peacefulness. So instead of reading what I thought about these murals, I would love it if you let me know what you think about these murals.























































































































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment