Tuesday, February 8, 2022

January 18, 2022 Mount Baldy Hike & Sunset

This is the backside of Mount Baldy. Years ago this sand dune swallowed the old parking lot. That is happening again but this time the National Park Service has nowhere else to move the parking lot. It has plans to create an off-site parking lot and use a shuttle bus to bring visitors to Mount Baldy.

Nola & Yeti aren't concerned about the parking lot issues. They are just happy to be outside on a beautiful January day. Once again Christy & I are bringing the dogs out for a hike on our only day off together. Someone cue up 10cc's "The Things We Do for Love".

Yeti basking in the sunshine on the trail to the beach.

Nola shows how deep a well-used trail can get through the woods.

The views of Lake Michigan from high above the beach.

Looking east toward Michigan City.

Resting at the top of the dune before running down...

...to the beach.

Yeti showed off his youth by climbing up a mound of ice on the shoreline.

The two oldtimers preferred staying on the frozen beach sand.

Meanwhile, the old man with the crazy dog tries to take interesting pictures on the beach. 

Yeti broke this chunk of ice by jumping onto it because he loves standing on the highest spot available.

There isn't much ice in Lake Michigan today.

The boys walk along the shoreline with multiple chunks of ice along the way.

We had the beach to ourselves. The silence definitely increases my enjoyment on these hikes. 

Yeti leading the way led us to this dead end. 

He had no problem climbing up the pile of loose ice chunks. Like I said, he loves being as tall as me and able to look me in the eyes.

This goofball kept posing as I tried to scramble up the ice.

At least I got this great photograph for my troubles.

The girls left us and walked west toward Central Beach.

The boys kept playing on the ice...

...and walking into the setting sun.

Playing with the long shadows on the snow and sand-covered ice on the beach.

Giant chunks of sand-covered ice collapsed along the shoreline.

It was so beautiful and peaceful on this hike. It is wonderful to be able to get away from real life for an hour or two whenever possible. The only thoughts I have at times like this are how to slow down and relax to make this last as long as possible. Why? Because I could come back here tomorrow and it might be another great visit but it will never look exactly like this again...

...so that means I must take as many pictures as I can to relive this unique day.

This scene almost looks like it is summertime and that wave is about to break and the water will flow onto the beach between the rocks. But it is 15 degrees and that isn't a wave, it is a pile of ice chunks and the water froze on the beach before it could retreat back into the lake. Yes, this is how I see things even though I know the truth. You might believe it means I wish it was summer. But this winter has been pretty good, so I am enjoying days like this one. Give me another month or two and I might change my mind.

Yeti wanted to forget about the girls and head back to the car. I convinced him to stay on the beach with me.

Where we found the roots of a buried tree trunk on the shoreline.

Having fun with camera angles that show the whole beach from the frozen sand and ice on the shoreline to the sand dunes and forest.


Yeti kept posing in the perfect spots.

We finally caught up to Nola & Chrissy as the sun dropped behind the dunes.


It didn't last long because I stopped to enjoy the scenery and kept taking pictures.

The snow and sand-covered ice chunks were bigger in this area of the beach. I couldn't figure out why. 

The creek between Mt. Baldy & Central Beach was frozen on the edges but still flowing down the middle.

Yeti is kind enough to test the thickness of the ice for me. 

By the time we got here, the girls were already heading back. 

They missed these incredible views of the sunlight lighting up the top of the far dunes.


Looking west toward Central Beach.

Yeti posing again.

Christy & Nola didn't want to hang out with the boys. 
I believe Christy said, "I don't care if you fall into the creek."  

I didn't care either. I was enjoying the best time of the day to be outside. 

Just like every national park, I have visited, when the sun is going down, beautiful scenery becomes stunningly beautiful.

We had to catch up to the girls. So I took a few quick pictures on the way back.



A year ago, this was the exit lane for Mt.Baldy's parking lot. The asphalt driveway is completely covered now. 

We drove along the lake as we headed home. 
This is near Lakeview Beach.

I took these pictures from Lake Front Drive.


Then near Dunbar Beach, I ran down to the beach to take a few more pictures.

It was windy and the marram grass was doing its best to keep the sand dunes from blowing away.

I was parked illegally so I didn't have much time. I took a few shots and left. 

But I did stop to take in the beauty that surrounded me. 

I have been to more impressive places than the Indiana Dunes...

...but I have been to the "Dunes" more times than anywhere else. I loved coming here long before it was a national park. I will tell people that they should come here and enjoy this special place. It is my hometown National Park and I am proud to be able to visit here as often as I do. 

It may never look the same on multiple visits...

...but this place impresses me on every visit.

Another photographer on the beach. 

The snow, the marram grass, the trees, the lake, and the setting sun. 
It brought a tear of joy while seeing it in person with a strong cold wind in my face and it brought a tear of joy looking at the photo on my computer in my warm house. 

I stopped one more time on the road along the Great Marsh... 

...and ended my perfect day outside with these sunset shots. 







No comments:

Post a Comment