Sunday, July 8, 2018

July 7, 2018 A Perfect Morning at Mount Baldy


Some days I take the dogs out for them, some days it is for me. I thought today was just for them. I was wrong. I decided to see if the NPS still had the Mt. Baldy beach access trail open. The Mount Baldy dune access has been closed for years. Ever since a young boy disappeared into a void in the dune. He survived under the sand for hours as rescue crews searched for him. It was pretty damn close to a miracle but he was fine a day or two later. The NPS has been battling the extensive dune erosion for the past few years and they have been trying to keep a trail open to the beach on a collapsing dune.

There is a short hike through the forest to get to the beach. This closed trail takes you to the summit of Mt. Baldy. The NPS has ranger led hikes onto Mount Baldy. Check their website if you are interested in hiking on the dune.

Oslo is just happy to be out hiking somewhere.

The view from the top of the trail that leads down to the beach.

The posts and ropes are missing from the eroded section of sand dune at the top. I had to make sure Oslo didn't fall down the dune and hope that Nola didn't force me over the edge.

The bottom half of the trail was in good shape...

...and the beach was beautiful.

We hiked east toward the NIPSCO Generating Plant in Michigan City. There were stretches that had no beach between the shoreline and the dunes. 

It was another calm morning on Lake Michigan with small waves breaking on the beach.

I only let Oslo off leash when we are the only ones on the beach. He loves the freedom.

Once again, Mother Nature impresses me with its' desire to survive.

I stopped to wait for Oslo and this goofy girl got right in my face.

Apparently the tide is going out.

One old man walking down the beach. Another old man taking his picture.

Reunited and it feels so fine.

We hiked from that far dune...

...to this breakwall near the NIPSCO plant.

Someone with Israel issues took the time to write them on this rock.

I believe this is an unofficial name for this area.

Whatever it is called, there was a beautiful view of the beach and dunes from here.

Even Nola enjoyed the view...

...then she went back to investigating between all the rocks on the breakwall.

I did not realize that Oslo had left us and decided it was time for a swim.

By the time we caught up to him, he was resting on the beach...

...and Nola was interrogating him about his swim and being off leash..

It was actually very good to see Nola as her usual annoying self. She has spent the better part of the last two weeks trying to hide from the fireworks in different areas of our basement.

Oslo knew we were heading back to the car, so he kept trying to turn around and walk back toward the Pirate Cove area.

Nola was posing for me all morning long. I loved seeing her have fun today.

The eroded cliffs are nesting areas for sand martins which were circling by the dozens above us.


I made Oslo rest before climbing back up the dune.

A rare attempt at a selfie with both dogs that came out good.

We sat here for about 20 glorious minutes. I was just soaking in the entire scene. What a beautiful place on a perfect day. I let the tide bury my feet as I spent time inside my head...my own private Idaho...

...the tide slowly rolling in and out...

...another near miracle, Nola laid down on the beach...

...then I realized my four legged soulmate was also letting the tide bury his feet. Maybe Oslo was in his own private Idaho too.

After letting a young couple with five kids pet him, Oslo reluctantly headed back toward the car.

I'm not sure how much longer these beaches will still be here, but they sure are a little piece of heaven on Earth to me now. 
Oslo walked right up the sand ramp. That old dog continues to impress me.

The young dad with his kids chasing him and laughing as they ran down the beach. A perfect scene for me to see...because I need to know that there will be kids that fondly remember their childhood family beach trips and will grow up fighting to protect special places like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment