Saturday, July 7, 2018

July 4, 2018 Good Morning America, How Are Ya?

Chrissy & I have a rare day off together, so we took the dogs to Central Beach for another sunrise hike to avoid the 95 degree 95% humidity later today. Also we were hoping no one would be lighting off fireworks at 5am.


I've had this song in my head since I saw Paul Sanchez play it last weekend. I know it's about the end of America's reliance on traveling by train but I still think it also romanticizes the passing of  simpler times in our country. Specifically when traveling was enjoyable and we actually enjoyed traveling to our destination. I think it goes well with today's blog....

....which is slowing life down and enjoying a simple walk on the beach.
The two girls were way ahead of the two boys...but we didn't care.

Another beautiful morning on the south end of Lake Michigan.

This sand castle was left here from yesterday because we were the only people on the beach.

The water was warm enough to walk right in...

...and Oslo loved it.

We walked east toward Mount Baldy but I took pictures toward the west because the rising sun light up the sand so perfectly.

There was a huge sand bar so we walked out about 50 feet and it still was about knee deep. 

There is something about beaches that just relaxes my mind and body as soon as I am walking barefoot in sand. It also brings back so many great memories of family trips to beaches with my parents...Montuak, Fire Island, Warren Dunes & the Indiana Dunes...and my grandparents...Coney Island, Rockaway, Riis Park and Jones Beach. I must come from a long line of beach lovers.

There is so much beauty and interesting geological things in the exposed dunes...like what caused those dark lines in the sand about three quarters of the way up that dune.

Once again the lake was very calm and there seemed to be more beach than last week.


If Oslo is my Snoopy...

...then I must be his Charlie Brown.

My brown eyed girl having fun in the lake.


These patches of green with flowers must have deep roots because the dune eroded all around them.

As a photographer, I love all the shapes and patterns of the damaged dunes.

We were able to get around the underwater sections of several trees that fell into the lake...

...so we continued hiking all the way to Mount Baldy.

Nola decided to get a new view of the lake.


We apparently are walking toward an atomic explosion.

This area is all new to me. I've never been on this section of beach between Mt. Baldy and Central Avenue Beach.

I was surprised to see this creek flowing between the dunes. It might be a drainage ditch or it might be connected to the Grand Marsh wetlands.

Nola standing on guard...

...as the rest of us relax and enjoy a cool breeze and sunshine.

We eventually headed back because it was warming up quickly.


One last dip in the lake to cool off...


...before climbing up the dune to leave the beach.


A couple of flower shots on the walk to the parking lot. 

Happy 242nd Birthday America.
There are so many beautiful places in our country. I happen to live near the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore so it is easy for me to get here. But I also meet people who come here from all over America and a few from other countries. In the past someone fought to preserve protect this natural area for future generations. Let us be the people that fight to preserve it now for the future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment