Saturday, September 23, 2017

September 2, 2017 Our Day Driving North on the Viking Trail


After three great days at Gros Morne, we are heading north on Route 430...The Viking Trail. Since this is a traveling day, we have no definite plans. It also rained most of the day and it was very windy. So we stopped here and there whenever the rain let up. The first stop was this Anglican Cemetery in Cow Head.

I have a fascination with visiting cemeteries. This one has lots of colorful flowers at just about every grave.

Apparently I am also fascinated with fishing boats and docks. Maybe it has to do with all the colorful boats... 

...maybe I just love being near the ocean.

There is definitely a love for being out on the water in Newfoundland...

...almost every house has a boat in the yard...

...and lobster traps are stack up everywhere.


This was our next stop. It stopped raining a few minutes after we got out of the car. Lucky for us...

...because this was a nice walk on the beach.

This is two of the three arches under this shoreline rock...


...this is the third arch.

I was so happy it stopped raining that I just kept walking and taking pictures.


This was a very nice little provincial park. The bathrooms must have been locked because when we drove out there was a lady squatting and peeing outside the bathroom. Sorry no photos of that. But it did make us laugh.

I stopped to photograph the sky here. I also needed to stretch my legs.

This was just a roadside turnout to a fishing hut that looked interesting, so I drove down the gravel road to the shoreline. It seems like every Newfoundlander has a stack of wood drying out for the long winter. Most are along the roadside near forests. It was a bit strange to see one on a beach.

Once again the rain let up but the wind was relentless. It was tough to hold the camera steady. I spent about 20 minutes taking pictures anyway.

The ocean has been extremely calm so far on this trip. So I was excited to finally see some waves crashing on the rocky shoreline.



It was hard to tell if this hut was abandoned...


...because there was firewood and traps stacked on the beach near it.

It was definitely a dreary day so I had some post production fun with a few photos.



Back on the road known as the Viking Trail...We are heading as far north as possible on the Great Northern Peninsula of  Newfoundland.

After a long day of driving, we finally made it St. Lunaire-Griquet. We stopped for dinner at the fantastic Daily Catch restaurant. Chrissy had a bake apple berry martini with Iceberg vodka and iceberg cubes.

I love Canada for so many reasons. But drinking this beer and talking preseason hockey with our waiter are high on that list.

I remember the first time I got Chrissy to eat steamed mussels with me. It was a previous trip to Canada. We were on Prince Edward Island at a lobster bake. I order the mussels appetizer. I am not exaggerating when I say they brought out a bucket of delicious steamed mussels in a white wine broth. After eating about thirty of them I asked Chrissy to help me eat the other thirty or so that were left. She did and she loved them. Now on this trip, she is ordering them every night. I am so proud of her.

We have eaten seafood everyday since we got here. 

Our home for the night is the affordable but very high end rooms at the colorful St. Brendan's Motel just up the street from the Daily Catch.


No comments:

Post a Comment