Sunday, November 13, 2016

November 6, 2016 Sandhill Cranes at Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area

I drove down to Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area in Indiana to see the migrating sandhill cranes. While watching the cranes return from feeding in the local farm fields, I had the most enjoyable time talking with a couple and petting their golden retriever from Chicago's western suburbs and a brother and sister from downstate Illinois. The weather was beautiful for November and the five of us spent a couple of hours watching the cranes and talking about all kinds of topics. I love when something I enjoy doing is surprisingly enhanced by friendly people that I meet whenever I do things like this.

I took a lot of bad pictures, here are a few that turned out alright. The cranes return from every direction so some fly across the setting sun and others across the darkening sky.

















By the time we left it was too dark to see into the field. I had heard on a previous trip down here that the cranes do not stay in this open field all night long. They land here and socialize but they roost overnight in a swampy area past the tree line in the distance of these photos. It was while walking back to our cars that we heard the incredible sound of thousands of sandhill cranes taking off all at once....I guess they do spend the night in the marsh past the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment