Thursday, June 25, 2009

June 25 What's Wrong With The World

You probably do not know this little girl. I do not know her either. Her name is Chastity Turner.

"Chastity, a student at James N. Thorp Elementary School, liked to dance and jumped rope, said her cousin, Erika Johnson."

"Of about 20 cousins gathered at the house on Father’s Day, Chastity was the only one to accompany Johnson to a neighborhood park for a picnic. She showed off her latest dance moves — the Ricky Bobby and the Stanky Leg, Johnson said." These quotes and the picture were taken from the Chicago Sun Times website.

I first saw Chastity on the front page of the newspaper this morning at a gas station. I immediately read the article. I knew I was going to write about her in my blog. She was shot in the neck while washing her dog in her front yard. A gang related drive by shooting. I heard late today the police arrested two men accused of her senseless murder.

I also heard of Micheal Jackson's death tonight. Sad as his death might be to some people, it doesn't even come close to the sadness I feel for this little girl's death. Of course every channel in America is covering his death and Chastity will only be remembered by those that knew of her in her nine short years of life. I may not remember the names, but I do remember the mother that was shot on Halloween while holding her child's hand trick or treating and I remember the child that was shot while his mother walked him to school near Cabrini Green. The gunman was a frustrated citizen actually trying to shoot a gang member who deserved the bullet. There are many things wrong in this world, but not protecting innocent children from being murdered is one we must correct immediately. If we didn't spend so much time covering the passing of a probable child molester and spent the same energy covering deaths like Chastity's, maybe the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment