Monday, November 30, 2009

November 29 My Visit To Puerto Rico (Humboldt Park)

When Patty asked me to go with her to Humboldt Park for her school project, I had no idea it was a Puerto Rican neighborhood. So I called my PR cousin, Karen, to ask her what I should order at a PR restaurant, she said they would still know I was a gringo but a medianoche sandwich, alcapurria or mofongo would make it seem like I knew what I was doing. We ended up having Pastelillos de Guayaba at a bakery café since I had a dinner reservation in a couple of hours. We began our tour in Humboldt Park then walked east along Division Street to Western Avenue.

The Chicago Cubs built this great little stadium in Humboldt Park for the local little leaguers.


There are several incredible field houses in Humboldt Park. This one used to have a little beach in front of it but the west lagoon is currently drained by the park district.

The park has several statues, this one was unmarked. But a google search has identified it as the Leif Ericson Monument, apparently this wasn't always a Puerto Rican neighborhood.

This is the boat house and music court on the east lagoon. This building also houses the Sabor Latino Café. The menu board below has local favorites listed.



This is the park's namesake famed Puerto Rican Alexander von Humboldt.




The Paseo Boricua is the business district through the heart of Humboldt Park along Division Street. It is flanked on the east & west sides by the metal arches of the Puerto Rico flag.


Hey, it's a PR neighborhood of course there are murals. Some of people I do not know...

...and some of people I do recognize like homeland favorite Roberto Clemente, who has a local high school named after him.

Well that's my trip to Puerto Rico. Since most people are afraid to travel to neighborhoods that are unfamiliar to them, I thought I'd bring the Humboldt Park neighborhood to you. There were several restaurants that looked very good on Division between Western and California. Why not try one next time you are in Chicago? You just might run into me at one of them.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't even know there was a dominate Puerto Rican neighborhood in Chicago & it is the Humboldt Park area but why not...so many diverse ethnic areas in the beloved Windy City which adds to the flavor of being in Chicago in the first place. By the way....loving your dogs. Roxy is sure feeling comfortable and secure and knows her "daddy". Auntie Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the guy depicted next to Roberto Clemente is Tito Puente, a Puerto Rican Musician who died some years ago... Gonna have to google Alexander von Humboldt cause never heard of him.... probably he was famous to the people who settled in that region previously... :) Aunt Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this was a Norwegian neighborhood many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont under stand this

    ReplyDelete