Monday, April 6, 2009

April 6 My Italian Grandmother

This is my Italian Grandmother, Maria, obviously long before she became a grandmother. The reason she is on my mind today is because my cousin, DeDe found her name on an unclaimed property website for the State of Maryland. After searching the site and downloading a form which required that I describe the property that no one in my family knew anything about it. I e-mailed the State of Maryland. I got a quick reply advising me to call Mr. Smith because he handles safe deposit boxes. I call Mr. Smith who told me that the state received personal belongings from a state hospital for the mentally ill that belonged to a Mary Hynes. The state sold that property in 1991 at auction for $55. Since my grandmother was never in that hospital, it must be someone else. But at least it got me thinking about my grandmother. Sometimes we forget about those that have passed on but she is remembered every time I have Italian food. So three or four times a week I think about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment