Monday, April 27, 2009

April 26 Lazy Sunday


The storms from Saturday continued through the morning on Sunday. By noon, the temps climbed to the mid 70's and the wind really picked up. I spent part of the day reading a book called The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell. It is about a man who leaves Wisconsin in 1975 and eventually lives off the land in the Alaskan Arctic with his wife and two daughters. They are the last non native family to have the right to homestead in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. After doing little jobs around the house and finishing dinner, I found that the sunshine and wind had dried the hammock on the back patio. So out I went with my book and my dogs. Oslo would join me on the hammock in between patrolling the yard and Fluffy would stand along side the hammock to be petted. I was reading my book and watching the wind blow the clouds across the sky. I was reading the chapter that tells the stories of many men and a few women who decided to live off the land in Alaska and watching the birds playing in the wind. Some of the seagulls were just floating across the sky with the clouds speeding by above them; then they would turn into the wind and shoot straight upward without flapping their wings. It was obvious they were just playing in the wind and it seemed a perfect backdrop to the book I was reading. At some point in our lives, doesn't flying freely into the wild seem like a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment