Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 29 The Iceman

This week I was responsible for bringing the beer for our hockey game. This long time tradition is why mens league hockey is known as the beer league. This was the first time I had to fill our new roller cooler with the post game libations. I've brought the beer many times over the years but we used to have a five gallon plastic bucket affectionately known as the Stanley Bucket. (a take off on hockey's Championship Trophy known as the Stanley Cup) Sometime earlier this year the Stanley Bucket was retired, well sort of retired. Since it was difficult to carry in your hockey equipment bag, sticks and a bucket filled with ice & 24 bottles, our team owner (who oooowns the team) Harold "Walt" Ballard bought the rolling cooler. Now the Stanley Bucket is used for the empties so we can recycle the glass and/or cans. Our team is now lowering our carbon footprint according to Mr. Ballard. So what does this have to do with today's picture? I planned on taking a picture of the new cooler and the old Stanley Bucket for this little story. But Walt forgot the bucket at home. (and yes we still recycled the bottles) When I arrived the rink was empty and a slight fog was floating along the ice. I thought it would make for a cool picture. By the time I dropped my equipment in the locker room, there was a couple skating around the rink. It turns out that Iceman (who got his nickname because he drives the Zamboni and does a great job resurfacing the ice) was skating with a lady friend. I was going to sneak a shot but decided to ask permission (due to my fear of pissing off Iceman, he's a big dude). So that is why the Stanley Bucket got a retirement story without a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment