Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 26 Sign Of The Times

I was writing the blog for last night, when Oslo came in and began to nudge my arm. That means I have to stop what I'm doing and pay attention to him. Since the weather is still nice tonight (they are predicting a huge storm this weekend with snow and ice), I decided to take the dogs for a walk. While walking through the neighborhood, I saw the sign pictured below. I know the country is down right now. The poor economy is affecting everyone. People have lost their savings, their jobs and their homes. Everyone is just barely getting by day to day. But this sign just shocked me. My God, it's even worse than I thought. A church sponsored sale of children. Now I have joked in the past that Chrissy & I should have popped out a kid or two, then sold it to pay for some cool trip to Africa or the Antarctic. A white baby would make a fortune on the black market. (Is that sentence an example of irony?) But we never actually did it. Now a church in our neighborhood is promoting the resale of children with a percentage of the sale going to the church I'm sure. I wonder if you could trade one in for a different model. Maybe you just had a boy and really wanted a girl just trade it in. I'm glad this stuff wasn't happening when we were kids, I'm sure there were days my mom would have sold us or just given us away. There was the night she got so mad at me that she gave me a laundry basket of my clothes and told me to sit on the milk box (we got milk delivered back in the day) until someone came to take me away. But I've gotten over that...no...really I have. I vaguely remember it happening...really!

No comments:

Post a Comment