Monday, December 7, 2009

December 6 The One Of A Kind Show



Today, Chrissy's Great Aunt Ann & I went to the Merchandise Mart for an artisan craft sale, "The One Of A Kind" show. I've done my Christmas shopping at this event for a few years now. There are over 500 artists of all types selling their distinctive creations. I have supported shows like these for as long as I can remember. Even though I was raised in the everything looks the same suburbs, I spent a lot of time in New York City where I was exposed to individual expression. And I thank God for that. I really enjoy spending time with Ann. She acts like someone 50 years younger than she is. She also speaks her mind which I love. Unfortunately, a few of the "artists" might not have appreciated her opinion especially the designers of women's clothing. Ann said "Who would wear that?" a bit too loud a few times. Truth be told, I agreed but no one was asking for my opinion. A lot of artists recycled materials to use in their creations, which I think is just fantastic. I can appreciate the talent required in a piece even if that piece is not something I would buy. We enjoyed the show. I bought a bunch of gifts, then realized I couldn't post the pictures on my blog because some people might see their gifts. So here are a few things I saw that I liked and took the pictures from their websites.

A cool towel rack from Second Chance Art accessories



Recycled Artwork from Metal Sculpture



Hand Grenade Soap from Stinky Bomb Soap



Graffiti Photographs from John Lennon Wall In Prague by McCollum Photography



Photographs of the Great Lakes Region from Steven Huyser-Honig



Amazing Wildlife Photos from Jackie Crivello

There were over 500 artists at this show. Click here to see the list and link to each site.

No comments:

Post a Comment