Sunday, July 10, 2011

June 26, 2011 I Still Believe


Over a year ago, I was at the Aragon Ballroom watching some skinny Englishman with his acoustic guitar trying to be heard over the Flogging Molly crowd that was not so patiently waiting for the headliners to hit the stage. Then I heard the line, "Music, it's my substitute for love". Holy shit, I love this guy. What's his name? Frank Turner. I bought his CD's, "Love Ire & Song" and "Poetry Of The Deed". Both great albums but now I would put Love Ire & Song in my top 5 albums of all time. That said, this is about Frank's latest release, "England Keep My Bones". The main topics are death & England on this release. There are a few songs I loved instantly. 'Eulogy' because Frank has a way of saying things that I think, 'Peggy Sang The Blues' about his grandmother who seems like quite a character, 'I Still Believe' already a crowd favorite at his shows, 'English Curse' an a capella story song about old England with a lesson about current political conditions. As with his past CD's, the other songs are slowly growing on me. If you love well written songs played on acoustic guitar with a punk rock edge, then buy this guy's albums right now. If you love live music where the audience is told to participate then go to one of Frank's shows ASAP. Here's a video of my favorite song from this album.






No comments:

Post a Comment