Saturday, February 7, 2009

February 3 The Power Of Music


Last month, in the subway tunnels of NYC. I came across a guy in a wheelchair playing the blues. If you've never heard music in a subway tunnel, the sound can be perfect (if the musician is actually good). I think the concrete provides just the right amount of reverb. Maybe a musician can explain it better. Anyway this wheelchair bound old black musician could really play guitar and his singing wasn't bad either. He had his guitar case open for tip money but he was selling this CD for $10. Initially I walked by enjoying the music, then I turned back and bought the CD. I finally listened to that CD today. It's pretty good. The reason I bought the CD was because of my friend, Phil Delgado. Like me, he loves music. All kinds of music. He recently called me and told me about an organization called 'Playing For Change'. It started out with Mark Johnson making a video of street performers from around the world singing 'Stand By Me'. He started a foundation to help promote peace through music and over the years has built music schools in poor countries. Check out the site at http://www.playingforchange.com If you'd like to read the blog that gave me the idea for this blog, it's called "They Call Me Uncle Phil". His daughter Kathy started it to keep everyone updated on his health issues. There you can read about a man who has improved the lives of all who know him and see why he is like a second father to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment