Saturday, October 25, 2014

October 23, 2014 Don't Kick Jimmy (Concert #40)


It's been a hectic week at work. We were short two techs and are still installing new computer systems at every Mobil station in Chicago. So it's been long work days. After work today I scrambled to get packed and off to the airport. I finally got to relax on the plane for the first time in two weeks. Those four hours are gonna have to last me until Monday's flight home because I am heading to Las Vegas. My never reliable brother decides he can't pick me up at the airport. So I grab a cab. The driver is a heavily tattooed punk rock fan. So we talk music during the ride downtown. He asks what I'm doing tonight and I say sleep. I've been up since 5:30am  and it's 12:30am to me now. After a forty dollar cab ride and a ten dollar tip, he hands me a little something to keep me awake if I decide to go out tonight. As a tourist I love hospitality like that. After checking in, I meet up with my brother George & my sister-in-law Marcy. We grab some NYC style pizza with Mexican Coke and enjoy the absolutely perfect Las Vegas night. We end up at an outdoor pop up bar on Freemont Street that has live music. We grab some drinks, a Brooklyn Winter Ale for me which seems odd since I am loving my last blast of warm weather until next April. The band playing is called Don't Kick Jimmy and at first I don't pay much attention. Then they start playing some interesting cover songs...Death Cab for Cutie, Marvin Gaye, Kings of Leon but even that song, 'Dancing On My Own' by Robyn is a song that KOL covers. Now this is getting interesting because they sound good covering this wide musical territory. At one point I said they were like listening to my CD collection on shuffle. We stayed until they closed the bar. What a perfect way to start our Vegas weekend. Now off to bed....I've been up for 22 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment