Friday, March 23, 2018

March 14, 2018 My Love of Family, Friends and My Hometown


Even though my parents moved a lot during my childhood, my mother made sure we visited family whenever possible. We traveled all over the country to visit relatives on both sides of the family. So now I am very close to my Aunts, Uncles and cousins who are spread out from the east coast to the west coast. But I spent the most time at my grandparent's apartment in Queens where I would see my Uncle Fred and Aunt Maryann and cousin Terri. Christy and I were always welcome to stay with them. This was the only way we could afford to visit New York City for many years. So we probably took advantage of a cheap vacation way more often than we should have. But I love NYC and I love my family and miss both if I am gone too long. So when my friend Patty got us tickets to see Springsteen on Broadway, it was yet another chance to visit the city I love and the Aunt that has treated me like her son for as long as I can remember. Since my Uncle died last summer, I've only been back once. So this trip meant a lot to me because I would spend some time my Aunt Maryann again. 
Our plane landed at 11:30am and we walked into this table of food an hour later. Welcome to my Italian Aunt's house. Maryann giving a toast to family and safe travels.

There is fresh bread, salad, pasta and a cold cuts tray with cheese and peppers. I make a tasty sandwich with a side pasta and peppers.

Then my Aunt brings out two trays of veal parmigiana cutlets, one tray of breaded eggplant, eggplant parmigiana and just in case a couple of chicken parmigiana. My close friends and family know I am serious about good food. So they know I am telling the truth when I say I've never had a better veal cutlet than the ones my Aunt makes. I managed to eat four in the three hours we were here. 

Christy & Marie on the subway after the reception.
After dropping our luggage off at The Inn on Second in Brooklyn and catching up with the owner Fran. We stopped by the opening night reception of the Good Natured Art Exhibit at St. Joseph's College in Brooklyn.  The exhibit featured ten watercolors from the Dumfries House in Scotland by our friend Marie Roberts. It was a wonderful evening of nature inspired art, catching up with Marie and conversations with several of the artists. 

Since it is Pi Day, we stopped for a slice or two at Giardini Pizza in Carroll Garden. What a great first day back home. I spent time with family and friends and everything I ate today was smothered with cheese and it was delicious. It's so good to be back home.


1 comment:

  1. You tell it like it is so when you like or love someone or something (or dislike them or it)...it's deep and real. Family and friends know this and can't help but love you back.

    ReplyDelete