Tuesday, March 13, 2018

March 11, 2018 Our Hike at Cowle's Bog

We were lucky to have another beautiful day for our Sunday hike at Cowles Bog in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. 

You park on the east side of Mineral Spring Road...

...and the trail starts on the west side of the road.

It was chilly for the two legged hikers but warm for the four legged hikers.

The two old timers moving along.

This is a lollipop trail with two loop options. We headed toward the beach.

Oslo desperately need a drink from the bog...

...the grass is over 6 feet high near the water.

This is a great trail with smaller up and down sections until you get to the dune on the beach. It is a steady climb through the woods...

...then straight down to the beach.

Great views up here...

...and down there.

Oslo prepping for our run down the dune.

There wasn't big waves but we could hear the surf from the bottom of the dunes.

The last of the shelf ice hanging on to this driftwood.

After the two mile hike to the beach, we just rested on the shore and enjoyed this beautiful day.

Nola keeping an eye out for any approaching danger.


Looking east down the beach toward Ogden Dunes.

I can no longer say that Nola never relaxes on hikes. She actually sat down twice today.

Oslo and I preferred relaxing more comfortably on the sand. 

I used my phone to take pictures today. I thought this was pretty cool so I took a few shots. I liked this one the best.

Hiking back up the dune wasn't as bad as it looks. Once again, Oslo impressed me by hiking straight up it without stopping.

Oslo stopped for a drink and I liked this view.

These funky plants are popping up everywhere there is standing water or really wet ground.

I have to get to bed, so please ID this plant for me. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment