Saturday, March 10, 2018

March 3, 2018 Indiana Dunes State Park Hike with Friends

I am meeting my friends Jim, Debbie and their youngest son Scott at the Indiana Dunes Visitor Center. I had a few minutes so I walked around taking pictures of the outdoor artwork here.










We decided to hike out on Trail 9 to the Beach House Blowout.

There isn't much color this time of year but the sunshine and blue sky made it seem warmer than the 40 degree temperature.


The Beach House Blowout

We decided to hike down to the beach and hike back on Trail 10 along the shoreline.

Trail 9 continues eastward across the top of the dune.

Great views up here.

Nola was excited to have Scott run her down the dune. 

There were down in the blowout in a minute or two.

Jim and Deb also ran down the blowout. Oslo and hiked down the trail on the side. Oslo kept stopping and looked for Deb on the dune.

We eventually met up with them at the bottom...

...and headed to the beach. The beach and dunes are eroding away as Lake Michigan water levels increase. It was about an 8 foot dropoff to the beach.

My dog Oslo loves the beach as much as I do. Here we are relaxing.

Deb and Nola. I had to explain to Debbie that Nola never sits or lays down on hikes. 
She is always on guard.
Jim and Scottie on the beach.

There isn't much beach and you can see the eroded dunes. That is about 8 feet high.

A father and son enjoying a sunny winter day at the beach.

The evergreens provided some color.

My brown eyed girl.

Really big driftwood, not sure if it fell into the lake here or washed ashore.

Oslo says old dogs need a rest...I fully understand.

We found a way back up the dunes at Mt. Holden.
I worry about Oslo on long hikes. But on the hike up this dune. I had to stop and rest. He kept going. He loves these hikes and has really impressed me lately with his determination to keep going. Once we get home, he passes out for hours. 

So we took Trail 8 to Trail 7 back the parking lot at the Nature Center.

This is the most direct trail to the beach so it has worn a deep path in the sand over the years.

I really enjoyed hiking with Deb, Scottie and Jimmy, my brother from another mother. It was a beautiful day to spend with friends and I had someone to talk to throughout the hike. Usually I just talk to my dogs and other hikers walk past me without making eye contact. Seriously, thanks for joining me and thanks for walking my dogs so I could take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment