Tuesday, November 15, 2011

October 6, 2011 "Your Cat Was Deeelicious" - Mr. Wolf

This was the view from our room at the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge.
 A few pictures of a beautiful historic lodge...

As you can see another cloudy, foggy day...
 ...so what, we decide to hike around Bow Lake anyway.
 The snow is creeping closer and closer to us.
 It really is a beautiful lake with mountains around it.
 The snow on the mountains on the backside of the lake is the lowest we've seen so far.
 The fog gets even heavier as we hike.
 Not long after I took this shot, the Bow Glacier Falls were no longer visible...
...so we headed back to the Lodge.
As you can probably tell, I love to take pictures of almost anything. But for the life of me, I have no idea what these people are photographing. You couldn't see five feet in front of you on the lake.
On the road again, hoping for some sunshine again.
A bit of a break in the clouds caused me to stop.
 A short hike at Hector Lake...
 ...was worth a quick stop for the views...
 ...and Chrissy having fun...
...in the trees.
This is one of many animal migration bridges across the Trans Canada Highway. A great idea that the United States should be doing too.
We grabbed some breakfast at Laggan's Bakery in Lake Louise.
 Lake Louise. It is as beautiful as everyone says it is...
 ...too bad there are so many tour buses here.
 It is a crappy fall day and it is almost impossible to take a picture without a tourist in it.
But this tourist offered me sex for a ride up to Moraine Lake. Guess where I went next...
 ...Moraine Lake.
 Just as impressive, if not more impressive than Lake Loiuse.
 We hiked a short way around the lake...
...but that damn fog was following us everywhere. So we headed to the Bill Peyto Cafe at the local hostel for lunch.
OK, I know this picture sucks. Hell it is as crappy as all the pictures I've ever seen claiming to have bigfoot in them. But this story is true. As we drove from Lake Louise to Banff on the Bow Valley Parkway, a beautiful black wolf crossed the road right in front of our car. By the time Chrissy got the camera out and took this shot, it was on the downside of this ravine. We couldn't believe that we had just seen a wolf. At first I thought it was a dog, but when it crossed the road you could easily see it was a wolf. For the rest of the trip I kept the camera on the front seat of the car, but never saw a wolf again.
Our next stop was a hike up Johnston Canyon.
I loved the old fashioned signs at the trailhead.




This hike was another impressive hike through a canyon. We dodged the raindrops and were treated to a very scenic hike. On the way back to the car, Chrissy noticed a missing cat poster on a message board at the parking lot. She was laughing and insisted I read it. But I didn't want to stop because I was heading to the bathroom to take a piss. She insisted so I did. When I read the sign pictured below, I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself.
Click to enlarge this picture

I couldn't stop laughing. Seriously I would regain my composure, then I would start laughing out loud. Uncontrollably. And I really had to pee. So I go running into the bathroom, trying not to laugh and trying not to piss in my pants. While standing at the urinal, I thought about that damn missing cat poster and started laughing out loud. Like a lunatic. People were just staring at me and backing away slowly. Fuck it, I couldn't stop laughing. As I walked back to the car, I was laughing so uncontrollably that I had tears running down my face. When Chrissy saw me she too started laughing. I'm telling the truth when I say it took almost 15 minutes for us to stop. It must have been all that fresh air. Or maybe it is just that damn funny.
 We saw this youngster grazing along the Bow Valley Parkway.
 And this big boy was at Vermillion Lakes just outside of downtown Banff.
 He was entertaining us by eating from the trees, rubbing his antlers on the ground...
...and then giving us this death stare. It must be time to go. So we headed into Banff. Chrissy went to the Advancing Bear Care conference. I sat in a bar with fellow hockey fans (Canada is full of them) and watched Toronto beat Montreal on the opening night of the NHL season. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment