Thursday, November 24, 2011

October 9, 2011 Don't Cry For Me, Alberta

I started my last day in the Canadian Rockies by hiking with Christy at Mount Norquay Ski Resort just outside the town of Banff. She had hiked here with her bear conference friends yesterday.
 Chrissy took the pictures here so there is a rare picture of me with a smile as big as the sky.
 The surrounding mountains...
...with fall colors.
We had to ask this local for directions, she pointed us toward our destination.
 The scenery on our drive back into Banff was spectacular.
I'm going to miss the mountains. The scenery just isn't this impressive biking at Sweet Woods in Thornton.
 We stopped at Bow Falls before dropping Chrissy off for her conference.
Bow Falls is in the town of Banff where the Bow River meets the Spray River.
 I decided to drive down to Canmore and hike to Grotto Canyon. I saw this along the trail from the parking lot to the canyon.
 I stopped at a ridge at the entrance of Grotto Canyon to enjoy the sunshine and the views.

 There isn't a trail in Grotto Canyon. You just hike up it over the rocks...
 ...and along the creek.
There was something different around each bend. I never did find the pictographs on the canyon walls. But I enjoyed the several hours I spent hiking in here.

 Sometimes the canyon had high rock walls and narrow passages...
...other times it was wide open.

 My old friend, the crow followed me through the canyon.
 There is a little waterfall deep in the canyon.



Since this is my last hike, I sat along the creek and just relaxed on the rocks. I can't described the feeling correctly...I guess completely content works best.

 As I walked out of the canyon...
...this was the view that I saw. Again I stopped for a few minutes to enjoy it all and to start planning a trip back here.
 I had to stop to get this shot of the clouds in the sky.
  I had some time before picking Chrissy up. So I sat on the edge of the Bow River in downtown Banff. I watched kayakers on the river, couples walking along the scenic river trail and...
 ...then this black-billed magpie decided to join me. The funny thing about this was that I have seen this bird almost everyday on this trip and never got a good picture. Now the only disappointment on this trip was not seeing a bear. I sat hoping but a bear did not sit down next to me.
The Bow River in Banff.
There is a beautiful world out there. I hope you get to see as much of it as you can and maybe someday we'll meet on a trail somewhere.

"I had to let it happen
I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window
Staying out of the sun
So I chose freedom
Running around trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it too

Don't cry for me Alberta
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world
They were all I desired
They are illusions
They're not the solutions
They promise to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me"

my apologies to Andrew Llyod Webber for changing his words

No comments:

Post a Comment