Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 14 Unwind - to release from tension

"There's nothing that the road cannot heal" - 'Moab' by Conor Oberst


Sometimes you just need to unwind. Life can get you wound very tight. Especially if you are like me, wound pretty tight as a starting point. Sometimes getting away from your everyday life is the only way to unwind. That is how I ended up at Agua Fria National Monument today. After enjoying one of my favorite bands, Flogging Molly, last night at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. I flew out to Phoenix, rented a car and began my road trip. The first stop was Agua Fria. Truth be told, there really isn't much here. Just what I needed. Solitude. I walked about a mile through the high desert passing barberry, cacti and mesquite trees. I hiked the Badger Springs Wash Trail for about a mile while watching the sun set over the mountains. I sat in the sandy wash, listening to the birds and enjoying being nowhere. Then I had to quickly hike back to the car because as much as I loved the peacefulness of the desert. It was getting dark and the desert is a scary place to be alone after dark. So I never made it to the Agua Fria River, but that was okay because I could feel the tension slipping away. Next stop Sedona.


The trail followed the wash down into the canyon past this trailhead sign.


I hiked along this creek that flowed through the wash down to the river. This short hike had everything I needed to relax...flowing water...setting sun...and a place to sit down and enjoy it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment