Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 15 The Red Rocks of Sedona

"There was a dream and one day I could see it
Like a bird in a cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it
And there was a kid with a head full of doubt
So I'll scream til I die and the last of those bad thoughts are finally out"
- 'Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise' by The Avett Brothers

I began my day by arriving at Red Rock State Park forty minutes before it officially opens. Luckily, the ranger was just getting to work and was kind enough to let me into the park. He warned me that Oak Creek had taken out two bridges and the only way across was at Kingfisher Bridge. So I altered my hiking plans and began on the Bunkhouse Trail. I ran into a few deer about 50 feet onto the trail.

I decided to make a loop out of several trails in the park. So I hiked up the Apache Fire Trail across the Coyote Ridge Trail down the Eagle's Nest Trail and back along the Kisva Trail. The 300 foot climb up to Eagle's Nest was a good way to get my fat ass ready for higher climbs later in the day.


Looks like the ranger was telling me the truth about the bridges.

This area has a long history of mining though I'm not sure how this relic was used. It looks like a wheel of some kind.

This house belonged to the president of TWA. He had it built for his wife as a vacation home.


The view from atop of Eagle's Nest Trail. I sat here for awhile and ate my breakfast. The views across the park were incredible. What a great way to start my day.

I took this picture from the Sedona Airport which sits on a tabletop mesa above the town.
 I passed this car in the parking lot at Montezuma's Castle National Monument. It made me laugh. Then it made me think about all the cool people I have met over the years while hiking. I hope I can still get out here when I'm in my 70's.

I didn't run into the newlyweds while viewing the cliff dwelling there but I did run into a family that had a teenage daughter that made me wonder about kids today. She was complaining about how boring it was to have to live here. She wondered what they did all day long. Her dad tried to explain that they had to grow or hunt their own food and find a water source. Mom added there were no stores back then. The daughter says "my hero is the guy that invented stores." The parents desperately trying to get the conversation back on track asked why do you think the Sinagua people left suddenly? The future pole dancing stripper had no answer. So I stopped taking pictures and whispered to her, "maybe they left to find a store". 


It was back to hiking after lunch. This time the Courthouse Butte Loop around Bell Rock (above) and the aforementioned Courthouse Butte (below).
 
 
Just for the record, these hikes represent a bit of a challenge for me. I thoroughly enjoy my time on the trails while also searching out things to photograph. I spent a lot of time deciding which hikes I should do on this trip. Then hoped I would be able to actually do these hikes. This was a 4.5 mile hike, relatively flat but very rocky in some sections. I was feeling real good about my hiking ability when I came across two ladies easily in their 60's or older. I stopped to talk to them for a moment and they crushed me by saying, "we hike this trail everyday. It's our daily walk." I just waddled down the trail feeling a little less proud of myself.
 
The scenery along this trail was incredible. All joking aside, I felt great while hiking this trail. As you can see, it was a perfect day.

The trails here are just a little better for mountain biking than the Cook County Forest Preserve trails that I ride back home. Someday I'll get good enough to ride here or I'll die trying.

"riding high amongst the waves
i can feel like i
have a soul that has been saved"
- 'Amongst The Waves' by Pearl Jam


I stopped by the Chapel Of The Holy Cross on my way to hike in Fay Canyon. Believe me when I say, I had a more intense religious experience in Fay Canyon than I did at this church. I planned on hiking in Boynton Canyon until last night. While eating dinner at the bar in the Heartland CafĂ©, I met a local search and rescue volunteer named John. He was eating at the bar because his wife was the bartender. He saw my hiking guides and we began talking about hikes in the area. He told me to hike Fay Canyon all the way to the end of the trail. Then climb up the rocks about 100 feet and hike along the side canyon about half a mile. He said it would be worth it. He was right. I like to hike for several reasons. One is to take photographs. Two is for the exercise. Three is to escape from the rest of the world and four is the simple fact that I love being outside enjoying nature's beauty. Fay Canyon provided all those for me. When I got up into the side canyon, I was all alone. I sat there for at least an hour, relaxing, admiring, enjoying the complete silence and a beautiful sunset over the mountains. While lying on the smooth rock of the canyon staring up at the blue sky, I watched the hawks and the ravens floating across the canyon. I was mesmerized, I felt like I was floating with them. I love that sensation. Eventually, I forced myself to leave. The hike out with the sun setting was a perfect way to end my day.





This is the beginning of the trail, I took this on my way out. Most of the pictures were taken deep in the canyon and in the side canyon on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment