Saturday, August 9, 2014

August 2, 2014 Saturday In The Park at Lollapalooza (Concert #31)


OK, it's a little lame. But I have always loved this song and it seemed right to use it for today's recap of my Saturday in Grant Park. If you don't like it, then don't play the song while reading this stupid blog.
It looks like a perfect day in the Windy City as we wait for the train in Chinatown.
Here's Patty so excited to be at Lolla...

...then I notice the window washers on the Congress Hotel are just sitting on a board...

....not some fancy scaffold just a board tied to a rope. I don't have time to worry about them. I got here early to see a band at The Grove stage.
Jon Batiste and Stay Human Band were definitely worth getting up early to see...

...they brought The Big Easy to The Windy City...

They ended their way too short set with a little Second Line parade through the crowd.

Check this band out...they were great.

I checked out Benjamin Booker and Vance Joy. Both sounded good and the weather was great.

The non musical entertainment was also great. These two goofballs were bobbing and weaving as they walked around Lolla.

I tried to get pictures of the Gary Busey head on a stick at Eminem's set last night but took about 8 shots and none came out...

...so today I got my pictures on the way to see Parquet Courts.
I've read a lot of hype about this band. I bought their first CD but it never really caught my attention. So after a very long sound check session, I was shocked at how fucking awful they sounded. I thought they were doing it on purpose but during the third song, the sound issue was solved because they suddenly sounded much better.

And when this guy sang a few songs, they sounded great. I really enjoyed his vocals over the guy in the black shirt singing. So maybe the hipster hype on this band isn't overrated.
I liked Desert Noises set. They were rocking the very small BMI stage. But I left to catch Kate Nash on the main Bud Light stage.
I didn't know much about Kate Nash before this week. She has a definite range of styles in her music. I really liked the punk song "Sister". So I was excited when she opened her set with that song.
It turns out that her all female band were avoiding her more pop music songs in favor of rocking out....

...that worked for me because they sounded fantastic.

Another shot of the north end of Grant Park.

Then it was The Last Internationale playing their very young version of rebellion music. They sounded OK while playing but need to improve on their political banter. The singer was rockin' a cool Joan Jett look so I added points for that. 

We walked across the park to see Fitz & The Tantrums. The south end of the park was packed. As usual, they were really good. Fitz & the Tantrums put on  great show. The songs are catchy and the band always seems to be having as much fun as the audience. I stayed for their whole set so I missed two bands I really like Wallpaper and Grouplove. Oh well that's what happens at a festival this big.

On the way to see Spoon we stopped to watch Smallpools. They were very entertaining. Sounded like a mix of Vampire Weekend and Weezer. 

I enjoyed their set.

I listened to Nas while getting up close for Spoon. I have been a fan for years and have never seen Spoon.


 They were really good and the sound was perfect.


The creepy hand over the stage added a special visual quality to the show.

Next up was someone I read about but was unfamiliar with her music. Jenny Lewis.

I liked how her guitar went well with her outfit. 

I also enjoyed her music. Good songwriting and a good performer.

 A couple of Lollapalooza's decorations in the park.

So we ended the night with an amazing performance by Outkast. I have no idea what Big Boi was wearing...some kind of robot or space outfit...Andre had white hair styled flat on his head with a jumpsuit that questioned why people of color are powerless around the world...sure these two are different cats but that just added to the fun dance party of a show which included great songs, an incredible band and a wild stage show. It is times like this that I wish I could dance because this was a show that required the listeners to shake their booty. I can barely do the white man overbite. Hey Ya and good night.



No comments:

Post a Comment